Friday, July 10, 2015

One by Sarah Crossan

Very rarely do I cry over books or movies, but I was grabbing at the tissues when it came to Sarah Crossan's latest book set to release Sept. 15, 2015, One.  I'll be honest, I picked this book up because I thought the cover was beautiful (even though I have always been told to never judge a book by its cover).

Meet Grace and Tippi.  They are sisters who share everything:  their room, their clothes,... and their bodies.  These sixteen-year-old conjoined twins have never wanted to undergo the risky surgery that would separate them until they are forced to consider it after Grace suffers from a fluke virus.  Readers will ache to reach through the pages and hug Tippi and Grace as they confront the most important and impossible decision of their lives.

I had never read Sarah Crossan before, but now that I have, I want more!  She writes with an exquisite grace and sensitivity that makes the reader question everything they thought they knew about identity, sibling relationships, and true love and understanding.  I love that this book is written in free verse poetry (think Love that Dog by Sharon Creech or Brown Girl Dreaming  by Jacqueline Woodson) because there is a certain power behind each and every word, phrase, and image Crossan conjures.  This was a quick, but compelling read for me.  While I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good read, girls 14 years and up will most definitely enjoy this glimpse into a world so alike and yet drastically different from their own.

Grace gives this book 5 out of 5 carrots!

Click here to pre-order your copy of One! (Release date:  Sept. 15, 2015)

0 comments:

Post a Comment